Linksys WAP54G and HyperWAP v1.0
Ronald MacDonald <firstname.lastname@example.org> v1.0, Thu Sep 13 21:39:19 GMT 2006
This HOWTO focuses on how to increase the range of your Linksys WAP54G by installing a new firmware: HyperWAP v1.0.
HyperWAP is a firmware for the Linksys WAP54G, which boosts the device’s power output, meaning your wireless network has a larger range on which to operate. This “power boost” will also increase the performance of your wireless network.
In some countries, there do exist legal limits on the maximum power output of radio devices. In the UK specifically, this limit is 60mW.
I take no responsibility for the consequences of any of the actions described in this tutorial.
HyperWAP used to be available to download from the HyperWAP website at http://www.hyperwap.org/Downloads.shtml (link dead - no longer online) At the time of writing, the stable version is v1.0.
UPDATE: I’ve managed to find the files I’d downloaded so they’re still available to download from here:
- Having downloaded the HyperWAP firmware from the website, open up your browser and enter your WAP54G’s IP address as the URL. This is usually
192.168.1.245. Having entered your password (no username is needed), click on ‘Help’, which will show the firmware version. So long as you have v1.09.1 or above, you may proceed with this tutorial
If you have an older firmware, download v1.09.1 at ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/WAP54G_fw1.09.1.zip and go to step 3 in tutorial
- In your web browser, go to http://192.168.1.245/fw-conf.asp, and disable “Downgrade Header”.
- Go back to the Help page on your WAP54G, and click on the button which says “Firmware Upgrade”. Select the file on your computer which you wish to use, and click ‘Upgrade’. While the upgrade is in progress, it is vital that you do not disconnect the WAP54G from the mains, as this could irreparably damage it. The router should reboot automatically.
- On rebooting, your new firmware should be working on the router. If you upgraded to v1.09.1 before installing HyperWAP, go back to stage 2 of this tutorial. Otherwise, you’re done!
To increase the power of your WAP54G, you must change the settings on the router configuration web page. To do this, follow these steps below:
- Log in to your WAP54G by pointing a web browser towards its URL.
- Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab, followed by ‘Advanced Wireless’
- In the bottom option - ‘Transmit Power’ - enter a value between 0 and 84 - this is measured in mW (MiliWatts).
Setting the output power of the WAP54G higher than 75mW can damage the device unless steps are taken to ensure it is very well ventilated.
Different countries have different regulations regarding the maximum output power a device may emit. In the UK, emitting radio waves on these bands above 60mW is illegal and could result in prosecution. These regulations may differ to your country - you have been warned!
- Click Save Settings below.
HyperWAP also includes options such as changing the Beacon Interval, changing the antennas which are used for transmit/receive and so forth. While some of these will affect the performance of your WAP54G in one way or another, the most interesting of these is the ‘Frame Burst’ which improves the performance of the WiFi connection while transmitting short frames. So, if you use the WAP54G intensively it’s a good idea to switch this on.